You can turn your old mobile phone into an AirGap hardware wallet. This works for any smartphone with Android OS 5.0 and higher and iOS 12 and higher.
The main advantage of AirGap is that you can connect it to MetaMask and use all the networks for the pool payouts, but still enjoy the safety of the hardware wallet when your private key is stored on your device.
To turn your old smartphone into a hardware wallet you need to:
- Download the “AirGap Vault” app to your old smartphone from the app store or GitHub
- Download the “AirGap Wallet” to your current smartphone to manage the wallet and send out transactions. It works similar to the Ledger app so we won’t be describing it here.
We recommend enabling the Flight mode on your newly created hardware wallet, so that it can’t communicate with the network.
Also it’s a good idea to set up a low battery mode.
Connecting AirGap to MetaMask browser extention.
This way works if you have a camera on your PC or laptop.
1. Open the MetaMask and click on the icon in the top right corner, click on “Connect hardware wallet”.
2. In the new window select “QR-based” connection and click “Continue”, this should open a new window with web camera.
3. Open the “AirGap Vault” app on your smartphone.
4. Select the address from the list.
5. Click on “Sync account”.
6. Change the “QR Code V3” to “MetaMask”.
7. Scan the QR code with a web camera.
The QR code scanner window may appear blurry, this is OK.
If you can’t scan the QR code we recommend trying to scan it from the different angles or turn on the light.
8. Select the address from the list and click “Unblock”.
9. Now you can see your AirGap address in the MetaMask.
Connecting AirGap to the MetaMask app.
1. Open the “AirGap Vault” app on your old smartphone.
2. Select the address from the list.
3. Click “Sync account”
4. Change “QR Code V3” to “MetaMask”.
5. Go to the “MetaMask” app and click on 3 lines in the top left corner.
6. Select the icon in the menu.
7. Select “Connect hardware wallet” in the pop up window.
8. Click “Continue” and scan the QR code in your old smartphone.
9. Select the address and click “Unblock”.
10. Now you can see your AirGap address in the MetaMask.
Setting up pool payouts.
Detailed manual on payment settings on Ezil.me you can find it here
If you have any questions please contact us in Telegram chat where you can always find up to date information.